Thursday, September 23, 2010

A Farewell to Wings

I know this isn't comic-related, but I'm going to post it anyway.

Johnny Mango, July 17, 2001 - September 22, 2010

Next year would have marked ten years since I got my pet lovebird, Johnny. I say "would have" because he died last night. Little guy was fit as a fiddle but when I came back a few hours later he could hardly walk.

I got him the summer before I started high school. He watched me change from the bright-eyed loudmouth gradeschooler to the cynical irresponsible young adult I am today. More cynical than usual because I just lost my friend. No matter how messed up life got, he was my constant - I'd always come home and find him happy to see me and he'd cheer me right up.

I buried him in a small wooden box and covered it with a sunflower with red on its petals. Sunflower seeds were his favourite food (he would eat them right out of my hand) and just like the flower, his little face was always red.

When I was a toddler, I used to run out into the backyard when I saw birds, even when they were sitting clearly out of reach power lines. My father surprised me one day and bought me two parakeets when I was one year old. Since then, I've always had pet birds, but now I don't think I'd be able to have any more. It hurts too much to lose them.

Needless to say, I'm feeling like total shit right now, so forgive me if I'm being distant.

TL;DR I has a sad. I'll try to have the new comic up tomorrow since I'm going to a Rick Springfield concert on Friday.

No comments:

Search Function!

Custom Search