Sunday, August 24, 2008

On Original 13 Whorism

I'm a huge fan of the GI Joe 25th line. It's so great to see the characters remade with better detail, articulation, proportions, etc. I am unable to go back to ARAH bodies and I don't want to!

For a while, a goal of mine has been to collect figures of the original thirteen members of the GI Joe team, the "Original 13," if you will. I was trying to get their comic pack re-versions from the Valor Vs Venom line, using DTC figs like Grand Slam to fill in the blanks. I wasn't able to get them all and in retrospect, I'm glad I failed. Had I managed to hunt them all down I'd be really pissed knowing that I'd have to do it all again for the 25th figures. But, being an Original 13 Whore, I'd have got them all again anyway.

My current goal is to try to collect the 25th Anniversary Original 13 figures in their 'v1' costumes. Due to Canada's crap distribution and language laws screwing us out of Wave after Wave, it hasn't been easy, but so far I've managed to get 8 of the 13.

I've made a handy guide to finding the 25th O13 and I wanted to share it with you guys. Click here and enjoy. Oh, and while you're there, why not take a look around the boards, and/or sign up? You might enjoy your time there!

That's it for now.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I've seen a lot of walmarts and Zellers carrying American carded figures (weird I know), of course my friend also gets them in a his hobby store at reasonable prices (even more reasonable if you're me ;p).

But I guess you'd never have Quebec Walmarts carrying the American carded if there wern't enough canadian... they'd scream bloody murder there... or whatever French speaking people scream.

1337W422102 said...

You got that right. What annoys me is that there's a Hasbro factory in Longueuil, a town 20 minutes from where I live, yet I hardly ever see any Joes on the pegs.

I get most of my Joes from specialty stores and toy conventions. If they made it easier for Canadian Joe fans to walk into a store and buy 'em off the pegs, you'd bet I'd do that.

Anonymous said...

Sweet. I'm glad I'm not the only one who loves the Originals. The UBP is awesome, I hope I can get it!!

I just picked up the V.A.M.P., R.A.M. and Flash last night! I'm so happy, I was looking forever. If you come up with a good shot of how you customize the guys (Breaker doesn't get two pistols in my book, and shoulda been clean shaven anyway) I want to know. I'm AmbroseKalifornia everywhere, so let me know.

And keep up on the comic! I loved the new one.

1337W422102 said...

I'm not sure why they gave Breaker two pistols. Maybe I'll have him do some John Woo moves in a comic...

Since he's a qualified expert with the Mac-10 Ingram, I decided to give him the Uzi from my #21B Comic Pack Snake-Eyes. I agree that he should have been clean shaven, but I guess you could always just paint over the stubble with some skin tone paint if you want.

There are some great customs on the HissTank.com forums that people have done of all of the Original 13. I'm sure if you look around, you can find some great inspiration.

Glad you liked the comic! Thanks for reading.

Search Function!

Custom Search